Saturday, June 20, 2009

Taking a Breath

It's been awfully quiet around the blog.

Each day is so filled with pouring myself out to all those in this house that at the end of the day it seems there is no more room for expression. Maybe just enough time for a phone call home to family, a silent prayer, soft chat with Darryl over our books, and quiet thoughts laying in bed before sleeping.

On my mind...

Today my mom went strawberry picking with my nephews. Sophie would have loved that. I feel like time is racing by and all the opportunities to spend time together are slipping away. I would really love to be with my grandma, 94 now! Sometimes I'm tempted to feel discontent, longing for what isn't to be right now.

I spend time reminding myself of God's faithfulness. Sophie and I are going through the book of Genesis together and it's full of reminders. He is faithful. My mind is being wrapped up in the Bible stories about Ishmael and Isaac. Did you know that Ishmael went back to his home when Abraham died and helped Isaac bury his father? What were their conversations about? Was there jealousy or forgiveness? What were Ishmael's thoughts?

We are starting to make plans for the arrival of the baby. Having a baby in Thailand when you live in Cambodia takes a bit of arranging (air tickets, which kids can go with me, accommodations, etc.). Also laying the upcoming school year in prayer. Knowing God can provide completely for us even though my faith is small.

This quiet hymn is a favorite of mine. It mutes the noise of life around me and gives me a deep fresh breath of truth, setting my heart and mind on who God is.

When the morning falls on the farthest hill,

I will sing His name, I will praise Him still.
When dark trials come and my heart is filled
With the weight of doubt, I will praise Him still.

For the Lord our God, He is strong to save
From the arms of death, from the deepest grave.
And He gave us life in His perfect will,
And by His good grace, I will praise Him still.

Artist - Fernando Ortega


No comments: