Monday, September 05, 2011

The Start of Something New

Happy Monday, friends! There are a few changes happening in this little space of the world wide web. This site is moving, but before sending you on over here is some further ado. Or perhaps a preface for the move.

Quite honestly I find it rather disturbing how much self-promotion tempts me and other bloggers. Usually bloggers with really good things to say. It starts out like that, somebody has an important contribution and gains readers. That's great. But then the head starts to swell up and well, I'm really somebody, huh? Before you know it you find Christian leaders posting facebook updates with short pithy sayings multiple times a day and posts with shocking titles. Is it a screen for marketing or gaining readers in order to promote self or God? Although I can't label their motives (maybe they are good), I think in my case it would be self-promotion.

Yucky pride. I'm saying this all to myself, especially as I prepare to move this site over to a new spot. I have no sort of rage following but my heart is just as susceptible to pride, it's like a plant that bends toward the sun. Our stalks always want to bend towards the sun of affirmation from others, our name's notability and abilities. We need to stand straight, pointing upwards and lifting our meager stalks to heaven, confessing there is no good thing in us. Any good, any wisdom, any gain is given from the hands of our Maker, the Lord God.

Whoever we are, whatever scope of influence we may have (huge or tiny), these are our requirements:

Micah 6:8

He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?

If any of these requirements are met, it's only because of Christ enabling us. We are desperately wicked, desperately self-seeking. This temptation shouldn't make folks run to the hills, but continue on using their abilities and turning any praise, any affirmation directly over to the Lord Jesus, the giver of these gifts.

Whew, now I've spilled all the beans on the table.

I'll be in this space tomorrow with the new site address.

No comments: