Saturday, April 23, 2011

He Is Lovely


I am finding this book to be a little treasure trove of comfort, The Loveliness of Christ, by Samuel Rutherford. Rutherford was born in 1600 and spent his life preaching, especially about the beauty of Christ. 

It is said about him: 
He has time to visit, for he rises at three in the morning, and at that early hour meets
his God in prayer and meditation, and has space for study besides. He takes occasional
days for catechising. He never fails to be found at the sick-beds of his people. Men
said of him, ‘He is always praying, always preaching, always visiting the sick, always
catechising, always writing  and studying.’ He was known  to  fall  asleep  at night  talking
of Christ, and even to speak of Him during his sleep. Indeed, himself speaks of his
dreams being of Christ.

This is one of my favorites from The Loveliness of Christ:

Christ all the season of the year, is dropping sweetness;
if I had vessels I might fill them,
but my riven, holey, and running-out dish, 
even when I am at the well, can bring little away.

Nothing but glory will make tight and fast
our leaking and rifty vessels...
How little of the sea can a child carry in his hand?
As little do I take away of my great sea, 
my boundless and running over Lord Jesus. 

You can get your copy here.

1 comment:

Kate said...

What a beautiful passage! In all these years, I don't think I've read any Rutherford from cover to cover. Might have to grab this one.